Dutch Oven No Knead Bread
April 5, 2017
The split down the middle happens on its own. You don't need to do anything to encoourage it.
This artisan bread is super simple to make, only has four ingredients, and each loaf looks different every time. Your active prep time is less than 10 minutes, but it takes 12–24 hours to make.
- 3 cups bread flour
- Optional: replace one cup of flour with one cup quick oats
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups warm water
- Whisk flour, yeast and salt in a 3–4 quart bowl with a tight fitting lid or one you can use plastic wrap to create a seal
- Add the water and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is mixed well. The dough will be quite sticky and shaggy looking
- Cover the bowl and set aside for 12–18 hours; up to 24 hours is fine.
- With cast iron Dutch oven and lid inside, preheat oven to 450ºF
- Heat the Dutch oven for 30 minutes
- While the Dutch oven is heating and with floured hands, scrape the risen dough from the bowl onto a heavily floured surface. The dough will still be very sticky
- Gently shape the dough into a round loaf; making sure there's enough flour on the surface so the dough does not stick when placed in the Dutch oven
- Let the dough just sit there until your Dutch oven is preheated
- Gently place the dough into the Dutch oven
- Cover with the lid and bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Remove the lid and bake uncovered for an additional 10–15 minutes or until it reaches your desired color
- Remove from the oven and gently shake the loaf onto a cooling rack and enjoy the aroma
- Give it a chance to cool before cutting into the loaf